Wednesday, July 6, 2016

The Gift of Surrendering


Right now it is storming here.  The rain is pouring from the clouds outside, and inside, the tears are pouring from my eyes.

Today is one of those days, when I just want to go back to bed, pull the covers over my head and forget about everything.  It comes on the heels of a particularly bad couple of weeks.  I have been battling the Shingles for the third time; I have had another painful gall bladder attack over the weekend; and this morning I had to rush Pork Chop (our little doggie) to the vet because he his throat and nose were swelling up and he couldn't breathe (a reaction to a vaccine he had received).

And today marks one year since my since my husband and I pulled up roots.  Roots that ran wide.  Roots that ran deep. A year since we relocated, in order for us to follow what The Lord is calling us to do, in this season of life, in the place he is calling us to do it.

But here's the thing.  It has not been an easy transition.  I am missing my friends.  I am missing our home that my husband and I built and the memories that we created there as a family.  I am missing the life we knew for the last 20 years.

My husband works long hours and I am finding myself alone and isolated from others far too much of the time. Current health challenges keep me from getting out and about as much as I would like in order to meet and make new friends. The health care modalities that could ease (if not possibly eliminate) the chronic pain I suffer with are readily available here, yet not accessible, since our insurance won't cover their cost. Our house still hasn't sold.

At this point, I am wondering what in the world are we doing here??

But here's the other thing  - even on my worst day, I have so much to be grateful for.
I serve a God who lavishes his Grace on me each and every day. A God whose Mercies are new every morning. A God who walks with me, lovingly leading me to a renewed sense of His Presence, Mercy and Love. I have a family and friends who love me. I have a beautiful home (well heck - right now I have two) and my husband has a good job.

And here's the third thing - What if the very things I need are the very things I fight the most? What if this solitude is exactly what I need at this time to draw me closer to my Lord? Exactly what I need to become more serious about my prayer life? Exactly what I need to step more deeply into my callings as writer and life coach? What if this season of transition is actually a gift wrapped in suffering?

So what if it's not really about the transition after all?  What if this transition is really about transformation?  My transformation?  A stripping away of the old, and ushering in of the new? Excruciating growing pains.  My loving Father inviting me yet again to follow Him in FAITH?
Me, kicking and screaming like a toddler who doesn't yet want to leave the ice cream shoppe.  He, like the good Father that He is, reaching down, picking me up and carrying me, until exhausted I stop kicking, I stop screaming, and at last, I are ready to let go of my will and surrender to His.
Hard Surrender. A Long Time in Coming Surrender. Not a One Time and It's Done Surrender. But Sweet Surrender.

Perhaps, it is in these moments -  these moments of Surrender - that He sets me down, takes my hand in His, and once again invites me to follow Him in the calling and places He has chosen and equipped me for long before I ever arrived here; perhaps it is in these moments  - when Surrender finally comes - that I get to participate in the great exchange - exchanging my Temporal wants and needs for His
Eternal Purposes.  Perhaps it is in these moments - the Not a One Time and It's Done Moment - but these times of Sweet Surrender -  that I get to partner with Christ in the plan He has set out for me, using the gifts he has given me, in the timing He has ordained for me, to actually make a difference in the world.

I certainly hope so.

8 comments:

  1. Beautifully written and expressed, Terry. I can relate to so much of what you have shared here. I know that, for me, surrendering to "what is" and letting go of how I thought I wanted everything to be, has been my most painful process. But also the one that brought me to a new place of deep inner growth and new friends, richer experiences and much deeper self-love. It took silence and time with myself for it to happen, and I fought meeting myself every step of the way. I'm sending you huge love across the miles. Em xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much Emma. I actually thought about you while I was writing the post - remembering some of the posts that you so beautifully wrote on grief. You and your words have so encouraged me during this year of, as you so eloquently put it, "the painful process" of letting go of the way we want things to be and accepting what is. Thank you for sharing the gifts that have come out of this process for you!
    You are a blessing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I identify with many of your thoughts and conclusions. As someone who has moved a number of times in my life, dealt with rare chronic illnesses and the 'typical' hardships that many face in this lifetime I often wonder what God's purpose for my life is. I know he's working and he's given grace and plenty of blessings along the journey!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for sharing your comments and parts of your journey Riley. I pray the Lord continues to provide grace and blessings along the way for you as you continue to follow Him in the Faith that is so evident in your comment. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I believe that this is also a transformation for me and that my calling is to be a writer. I just need to believe in myself to be what I dream in my head. I know it but I hold back and I don't of even know when to call myself a writer. Even though I write. I think someone posted in Jeffs group that said she's been working in the profession for 50 some years and shes just calling herself a writer. Maybe I haven't been writing as long or published anything. Maybe afraid of questions because I'm still trying to find my voice. I have to learn to take criticism. I'm just too nice of a person. I speak to God in regards to guidance but I also know it comes from within, I just need to find it. If that makes sense. Thanks for your blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is so good to hear the positivety in your writing even in the midst of struggle. I hope someday God will use me and guide me as I see it done in so many others.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is so good to hear the positivety in your writing even in the midst of struggle. I hope someday God will use me and guide me as I see it done in so many others.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Denise - Thank you for visiting my blog and for your encouraging comment. Although I don't know you personally, Our Lord knows you intimately and He knows the deep desires of your heart! He has uniquely created and gifted you and I have no doubt that He will use your willing heart and the gifts he has given you to accomplish His purposes.
      I encourage you to pray and seek Him, and then wait in confident expectation to see how He uses you! God Bless!

      Delete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts!